Amazing off-piste skiing course on Troll Peninsula
We are joining up with Summit Heliskiing to offer you a four-day backcountry skiing course where you will ski off the beaten track, learn the basics of backcountry skiing and complete an avalanche course. Courses are held from Monday to Thursday, with the possibility of extending the stay after the course.
Accommodation is at our hotel Sóti Lodge in Fljót, with full board, three-course dinners, breakfast and lunch included in the price. Participants have access to our next-door geothermal pool, complete with hot tub and sauna.
The instructors are Sara Hlín Sigurðardóttir, a ski instructor, and Leifur Örn Svavarsson, lead guide at Summit Heliskiing and avalanche expert. Leifur and Sara both guide our heliskiing packages with Summit Heliskiing, and are each skilled, highly experienced guides. Take a look at our team to learn more about them!
Choose your backcountry skiing level:
– Stepping off the slopes for the first time? This one’s for you. An introduction to the mountain with lots of coaching on off-piste ski techniques and skills on ungroomed snow.
– Or, if you’re already comfortable off-piste, we can take a deeper dive into terrain analysis, dynamic risk assessment and safety in more challenging conditions, and a couple
About the course
Participants meet at Sóti Lodge at 1pm on Monday and the course ends on Thursday afternoon. You can book an extra night at Sóti Lodge on Thursday evening, if you’d like!
The exact itinerary is subject to change depending on local conditions. In general, there will be several theory sessions which will take place indoors each morning. After lunch, you’ll head outside for practical sessions, which will involve touring, lift-assisted touring and other exercises.
During these four days you will:
- Gain knowledge of skiing conditions in the Icelandic mountain terrains
- Enhance your backcountry skiing techniques through personalised coaching
- Learn about snow conditions, avalanche danger and how to stay safe
- Test your skills in the Troll peninsula slopes
- Have fun in the outdoors at the tip of Troll peninsula
Both Leifur and Sara will be present for all sessions, so there are plenty of opportunities for 1:1 coaching and feedback.
- All meals during the program (from dinner on arrival to lunch on the final day)
- Backcountry skiing lessons, avalanche courses and guiding
- Access to the ski areas used for outdoor lessons
- Avalanche equipment (beacon, probe and shovel)
- Quality accommodation at Sóti Lodge
- Après ski
- Access to Barðslaug geothermal pool (just a few steps from Sóti Lodge)
- Floating session and water stretching
- Travel to Sóti Lodge or to ski areas. Please reach out if you need assistance planning your travel.
- Personal equipment, such as mountain skis and skins, mountain ski boots, poles and helmet. Mountain skis, skins and poles are available for rent on site, but participants need to buy or rent everything else before the trip.
15.-18. April 2024
If you would like to book our open course, just click your chosen date on the calendar! Follow the booking instructions and place your deposit – we will reach out a few weeks prior to the course with information on how to make the final payment.
For private groups, please reach out to us on email@example.com.