Troll peninsula – a winter wonderland
Iceland is truly a world-class destination for backcountry skiing, with vertical descents of up to 1500m or almost 5000ft, leading all the way down to the Arctic ocean. This six day backcountry ski trip is perfect for those who want to enjoy the magic of North Iceland and gain insights to the wonders of ski touring under the guidance of an experienced ski guide.
Our country hotel Sóti Lodge is hugged by majestic mountains, so there is no need to go far from the lodge to find your perfect slope. A nourishing breakfast provides the fuel for mountain adventures. After a fine day of backcountry skiing, we make sure you get to relax with a hot beverage or a cold beer while sharing stories from the day’s ski adventure. Each room has a private bathroom and shower, and of course, the geothermal swimming pool is just a few steps from the lodge for all to enjoy, with relaxing aqua stretches and floating experiences thrown in for good measure. In the evenings we offer a three-course dinner with locally sourced ingredients.
The backcountry skiing itinerary
Backcountry skiing and a stay at our country hotel Sóti Lodge are the perfect ingredients for a truly memorable experience.
Our goal at the end of each trip is to make sure our guests feel re-nourished in body and soul, physically tired and emotionally energized after good days in the mountains – and waiting to repeat the experience.
Please note – this itinerary may vary based on weather or other factors.
After your first cosy evening at Sóti Lodge, you’ll meet your guide in the morning to discuss the weather forecast, your equipment, and the overall plan for the next few days. Go through a safety briefing and then spend the afternoon out in the mountains, before heading back to the lodge for a well-earned dip in the hot tub, followed by a hearty three-course dinner.
Days 2 – 5
After an energising continental-style breakfast, its time to hit the slopes! Each day your guide will choose an exciting run based on the weather, snow conditions, and ability of the group. A packed lunch is provided to enjoy along the way, before carving your way down and heading back to the lodge for some rest and relaxation to prepare you for the next day’s adventure.
We’ll start bright and early to make the most of the morning, ensuring we wrap up in time for one last tasty lunch together before we part ways and head back home.
- All meals for the duration of the trip
- Experienced mountain guide
- Six nights premium en-suite accommodation at Sóti Lodge (arriving the day prior to the start of the course)
- Access to Barðslaug, the local geothermal pool (next door to the hotel)
- Down day activities
*Skis, skins, poles, and avalanche safety equipment available, additional charges apply
- April 4th – April 10th 2023
- 2950 € per person – Double occupancy
- 3950 € per person – Single occupancy
- Do you want to arrange a private trip for your group/family? Drop us a line at email@example.com
For whom is this trip suitable?
- This trip is suitable for intermediate backcountry skiers. The ski guide will make sure that the speed and slopes fit everyone in the group.
What to bring
- Backcountry skis (or splitboard), skins, crampons, poles, helmet and goggles.
- Avalanche equipment (Shovel, pole, beacon – make sure it works and has fresh batteries)
- Backpack (min. 32l, w/ski-carrying system)
- Wind- and waterproof jacket
- Wind- and waterproof pants
- Woollen underwear
- Gloves (thick and thin gloves)
- Water bottle